Sunday, June 5, 2011

Sunshine

I just had the most wonderful epiphany. The key to world peace is as simple as a little bit of sunshine.

After spending a leisurely Sunday afternoon taking the little one to the dog park and planning my upcoming trip to Laos, Cambodia, and Vietnam (!!!!!), I decided to head over to a cafe down the street to catch up on a little bit of reading (Currently, The Two Koreas, by Don Oberdorfer) over an iced tommcino. Because it was a beautiful day, I decided to sit outside and take in a little bit of "nature".

(Side note. Isn't it amazing how much like our parents we turn out to be? It just crept in and snuck up on me, really. First, my iPod filled itself up with Led Zeppelin, next I stopped drinking in an effort to be more financially responsible, and now this, reading history books for [gasp!] enjoyment! If only I could make oval boxes, my dad and I would be indistinguishable...)

After a while, I started to feel a little chilly. It was one of those days where you feel perfect in the sunlight, but if you're standing up and can feel even the slightest breeze, you start to feel chilly. Recognizing my need to be horizontal, I decided to head up to my roof and bask in the remaining late-afternoon sunlight I could find...

Have you ever had one of those moments where you are completely at peace with the world? Where everything makes sense, where you're completely at ease and just feeling wonderful? Amazing, right? And to think, it comes from something so natural as the sun, the one thing every person in the world has equal access to. Somehow, those warm rays, permeate into a collective unconscious and leave you feeling so calm, so serene, so in touch with the world, that it's just magical.

So here's my plan. I need to take every world leader and as many lay-people as I can get my hands on, and drag them into the sunlight. Fidel Castro, Ali Abdullah Saleh, Omar Al-Bashir, Muammar Gaddafi, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, and just force them to sit in the sunlight for, say, twenty minutes or so. Even the Dear Leader, if I could get him to roll up the sleeves of the ridiculous jumpsuit he wears every day...



It's worth a shot anyways.

Cheers!
- Christine

Photo cred: Kim Jong-Il Looking at Things... only one of the best ideas for a website ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment